Monday, March 16, 2009

Medicine

Okay, so I am, at the moment, involved in giving my dad IV antibiotics.  My energy is low, and I feel like crying.

This is funny, because I've occasionally considered getting a nursing degree or, at least, the 9 month training to become a nurse.  I'd do this, because I've noticed that during an economic "crisis," both in a person's life and up to and including globally, people get sick.  They are less likely to turn to an alternative healer, because their insurance pays for allopathic med's--docs and drugs--and not for homeopathists, OMDs, etc.  Sometimes chiropractors and acupuncturists on a limited basis, but not always even those!

There's irony (in my personal opinion) in my contemplation of nursing.  I dislike hospitals and doctors' offices because of their lower energy levels and because of the smells.  UGH!  I figured that was a "getting used to it" thing.  I also never--never!--go to a doctor's office, because I'm allergic to every drug known to man!  And if I refuse to take a doctor's drug recommendation, preferring instead to try an herb or something, I am listed as "uncooperative."  I would rather not have a lot of those on my record, especially if I get hit by a bus, or something, and need my insurance to pay hospital costs!  (Please note:  I am VERY, VERY careful!!!!!!!!!!!)  I figure that I've seen people on chemotherapy be killed with drugs and brought back to life as they lay there.  Of course, the medical people involved usually expect the death and are prepared with the appropriate syringes full of resuscitating drugs!  Ha!

In my case, I can say, until I'm blue in the face, that I'm allergic to drugs, ask for the drug's derivation, and go try the herb to see if I react to it--this is always a much lesser reaction!--and the doctors in question are irritated beyond reason.  I'm obstinate about this, because the last drug I tried 15 years ago caused 4 days of unconsciousness on 1/4 of a tablet!  And the doc's reaction?  Oh, you are sensitive.  Try a 1/4 of a tablet.  I'd already done that, so I made my usual trip to the pharmacist, asked for the herbal derivation, tried the herb, and had a 4-hr. reaction that involved my entire body and nervous system.  But then it was done!

So, I really, truly don't participate in medicine.  Until now.  And it's IVs.  And I'm watching my dad get worse overall.  I want to shake him and say, "Eat better!" and other such stuff that will only irritate him.  Actually, that's not totally true.  Right now, he's miserable, so he'll eat better until he feels better, and since his diet leaves a lot to be desired, he feels better in a matter of a very few days.  And then he reverts.  What's the point of staying on the better-feeling diet, when I like cookies?  I feel better already!  So, his health declines again.  But it's so gradual that he doesn't realize it!

My frustration is great!  I keep telling myself that I can't control what he does, and he's suffering his own consequences, but I'm involved, because I am the "go to" person when he's ill!

So, my lifelong aversion to allopathic medicine is for naught; I'm involved in spite of my best efforts not to be!!!  LOL!

And I've decided not to become a nurse!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment